As children, it’s easy for them to learn English words and phrases such as “hello”, “fine” or “good”. However, as they grow up they realize that it is not enough! Speaking another language is a necessity to look for work in another country, so they decide to study English abroad.
If this is your case or you do not want to be the exception, you have come to the right place! We write this article to tell you about the benefits of learning English abroad. In addition, we will show you the study destinations you can go to and which courses you should take.
Let’s get started!
Benefits of studying English abroad
You are probably wondering, is studying English abroad worth the effort and investment? Well of course YES. Based on the experiences of hundreds of young people, we will show you some of the reasons to start this adventure.
- Get excellent study opportunities. You have access to recognized schools around the world that have high-level educational programs.
- Immerse yourself in the language. Being surrounded by native speakers forces you to practice the language to master it much faster.
- Increase your confidence and self-esteem. Seeing how you progress in the language and that, each time, you understand and speak better, makes you feel proud of yourself and your abilities.
- Explore new cultures. Learning English abroad is your opportunity to become a citizen of the world, understand other customs and see life from new and fresh perspectives.
- Meet very cool people. During your trip, you will not only learn English, but you will make new friends so that your WhatsApp contact list is much more “international” as well.
- See different things. Your trip will not only be to study and that’s it, because you can get to know the city in which you have decided to live in depth and enjoy everything it offers you.
- You will get smarter. When learning a new language you force your brain to work on the cognitive part. Therefore, you become more decisive and mentally agile.
- You will give weight to your resume. The section on other languages is very important in your CV. So adding your English certificate will put you above the other applicants.
Tips to learn English abroad faster
Maybe this new adventure will make you a little scared, but don’t worry! Traveling will make you super happy and we have prepared some tips that have been very useful to our colleagues who have gone to study English abroad.
- Interact with native speakers. Thus, you learn local expressions, expand your vocabulary and perfect your pronunciation.
- Look for a job related to the public. The more you speak, the more you practice and improve until you become a fluent English speaker.
- Avoid countries where there are many people who speak the same language with you. Australia, Canada and New Zealand are good destinations to study since you are forced to communicate in English.
- Do activities in English. One of the tips for learning English from scratch is to think like an Anglo-Saxon speaker. That is, watch movies, listen to podcasts and read books in English.
- Do a language exchange. There are people who want to learn your native language, so you can offer to teach them if they give you some English classes.
- Organize study sessions. Get together with your classmates to read and converse in English. This will help you improve your speaking and listening, and clear up some doubts as well.
- Know the culture. Knowing English is not just about words and grammar. If you take the time to find out the customs and traditions of the country where you are, it will be easier for you to understand the jokes, sayings, stories and legends.
- Have fun! Learning a new language can be a frustrating process. So find ways to have fun: sing, do crossword puzzles, record videos, watch YouTube channels, and don’t worry about making mistakes.
Types of courses to study English abroad
Before going to study English abroad, you must make an important decision: choose an English course via CatEight Course Finder that suits your goals. To guide you through this process, we will show you the main study options you will find.
Intensive English courses
Intensive English courses aim to refresh your knowledge and prepare you for a higher level. They usually last from 1 to 3 months, so they are the ideal option to learn English fast!
General English courses
General English courses are ideal for reinforcing the main aspects of the English language: listening, writing, reading and speaking. Often, they usually last from 9 months to 2 years.
Fewer hours per week are studied and these are divided into alternate classes that can be adjusted to your schedule. So, if you are not in a hurry to learn, this type of course comes in handy.
Preparation for official exams
These courses are very important! Since they serve as preparation for world-renowned exams. If you need to take the TOEFL, the IELTS or the Cambridge exams, this is the key to get the highest grade and play it safe.
Work and study English abroad
For many students, paying for their stay while studying English abroad is often a concern. If you are one of them, We have good news for you! Taking a general English course, you have the opportunity to work. Yup!
Of course, this depends on the country you are in. In Australia and New Zealand, for example, you have the opportunity to apply for a work permit and do it part-time. On the other hand, in Canada, it is not possible.
Best countries to study English abroad
There are more than 60 countries that have English as their official or most widely spoken language. However, only certain nations have the necessary qualities to learn English abroad. Do not take off the screen and see what they are!
Without a doubt, Australia is a great destination if you decided to study English abroad. The Aussie territory offers a high quality of life, an excellent educational system, dream tourist places and very modern cities such as Melbourne and Sydney.
In addition, its people are very nice. Australians are laid back people who love to make new friends. This makes international students feel at home and therefore they never want to leave the country of koalas!